Dependants must apply for benefits at their nearest labour centre in person. They must take the necessary documents with them.
Claiming Dependants Benefits
If dependants want to claim dependants benefits they must use the following steps:
Step 1: Get the documents ready
Before dependants can claim, they must get the following documents ready:
- dependant’s 13-digit bar-coded ID or passport;
- deceased’s 13-digit bar-coded ID or passport;
- form UI-19;
- marriage certificate (for spouses)
- lobola letter (for traditional marriages)
- affidavit (for life partners)
- birth certificates (for children)
- proof of schooling (for children between 21 and 25); and
- death certificate of the deceased.
Step 2: Go to the nearest labour centre
Dependants must go to the nearest labour centre themselves and hand in the documents. Staff at the labour centre will assist them with all the processes and give them more information.
Step 3: Follow all the instructions of the staff at the labour centre
Staff at the labour centre may ask dependants to visit the labour centre at certain times. Workers should do what they ask, or they may not be able to claim.
Originally appeared on labour.gov.za on 18-12-2008. The views expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of estome. estome accepts no responsibility for the accuracy, completeness or fairness of the article, nor does the information contained herein constitute advice, legal or otherwise.