Help combat the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Visit:

Basic Guide to UIF Dependant’s Benefits

Basic Guide to UIF Dependant’s Benefits

A worker’s spouse, life partner or children have the right to claim benefits from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) when the worker dies. Dependants must apply and will be paid at the labour centre of their choice.


The Unemployment Insurance Act and Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act apply to all employers and workers, but not to –

  • workers working less than 24 hours a month for an employer;
  • learners;
  • public servants;
  • foreigners working on contract;
  • workers who get a monthly State (old age) pension; or
  • workers who only earn commission.

Domestic employers and their workers are included under the Act since 1 April 2003.

See (Ref)

Provides security to workers when they become unemployed.

Who can claim?

Dependants cannot claim if the worker –

  • got benefits from –
    • the Compensation Fund; or
    • an unemployment fund (as defined in the Labour Relations Act); 
    • was suspended from claiming because of fraud.

Spouses or life partners can claim when a worker dies. Dependent children can claim only if –

  • there is no spouse or life partner; or
  • the spouse or life partner does not claim within 6 months of the worker’s death.

Based on Legislation in Section 14Section 30Section 36of the Unemployment Insurance Act

When must I claim?

Dependants must claim within 6 months of the worker’s death.

Based on Legislation in Section 30of the Unemployment Insurance Act

How do I claim?

Dependants must fill in the application forms and hand them in, together with other required documents, at a labour centre.

Based on Legislation in Section 31of the Unemployment Insurance Act



Your benefit payments can be collected at the labour centre of your choice.

Based on legislation in Section 29of the Unemployment Insurance Act


No tax is payable on adoption benefits.

Based on Legislation in Section 34 of the Unemployment Insurance Act


If you are paid more money than you should be, you must pay back the extra money to the UIF.

Based on Legislation in Section 35of the Unemployment Insurance Act

Related Products

Originally appeared on on 19-11-2007. The views expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of estome. estome accepts no responsibility for the accuracy, completeness or fairness of the article, nor does the information contained herein constitute advice, legal or otherwise.

Shopping basket


No products in the basket.