Employers and the self-employed must make every effort to ensure the health and safety of the workplace. Health and safety incidents must be reported to health and safety representatives and inspectors.
All employers must –
- provide and maintain a safe, healthy working environment;
- ensure workers’ health and safety by providing
- training, and
- inform health and safety representatives of –
- investigations, and
Self-employed people must ensure that they, their workers, or others are not exposed to health or safety risks.
Employers must report to an inspector incidents in which –
- people are killed, injured, or become ill,
- dangerous substances are released, or
- machinery fails or runs out of control.
Site of Incidents
No one may disturb the site of an injury or death.
This does not apply to –
- public road traffic accidents;
- household incidents, unless reported to the SA Police Service; and
- aviation accidents.
Originally appeared on labour.gov.za on 30-05-2008. The views expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of estome. estome accepts no responsibility for the accuracy, completeness or fairness of the article, nor does the information contained herein constitute advice, legal or otherwise.